Whether you’re buying perfume for yourself or as a gift for someone special, it’s not always easy to know how to choose the right one. We’ve put together a list of tips to help you out, and if you decide to shop online you can also pick up a fantastic bargain on a selection of cheap parfumes with Notino when you take advantage of discounts and deals.
Perfume essentials: to start it’s important to remember that there are three main types of perfumes;
- Parfum – this is the purest form as it has the highest concentration of fragrance. This may make it more expensive but also means it is stronger.
- Eau de Parfum – the second most common type of perfume is usually more affordable and considered a universal fragrance for everyday use.
- Eau de Toilette – this is a much more affordable option and is usually lighter and less complex than the other two types.
Scents and tones – there’s a huge selection of different kinds of scents when it comes to perfumes, but we can narrow it down to the following:
- Citrus – although you can find various fruity fragrances, the most popular is usually citrus fruits, such as orange, lime, or grapefruit. This scent is ideal if you want something fresh and vibrant and a good choice for the summer.
- Floral – floral scents are generally more feminine and come in a variety of tones that smell like real flowers, including anything from lavender and rose, to lily and blossom. Pick a perfume with floral scents if you want the most feminine fragrance.
- Woody – as the name suggests, a woody scent usually smells like wood or earth and can be quite strong. It’s more common to find these tones in male fragrances.
- Oriental – these are probably the most complex. They can include spicy smells such as cinnamon and bergamot but can also be complemented with softer notes like vanilla.
If you’re treating yourself to a new fragrance you probably already have some idea what your preference is but if you buy perfume as a gift, it can get a little more complicated. Perfumes are quite a personal gift, so you need to know the person well enough to have a good idea of what they like. Take some time to do a little research and notice the kinds of fragrances they usually wear to help you choose.
Testing perfume is really important and usually, the only way to understand if you like a certain scent is to try it out, and it’s free. If you visit perfume shops you can try as many different scents as you like and you don’t necessarily have to make a purchase. Be careful when comparing fragrances as trying too many at the same time can become confusing as the different smells and odors will start to mix or blend in together.
Of course, you can buy perfume is lots of different stores and shops, but as we mentioned before, you can usually get a better deal if you shop online. These are a few of the most popular online stores that you can check out:
- The Perfume Shop
- Fragrance Direct
- The Fragrance Shop
One last tip: one of the biggest mistakes people make with perfume is overusing it. You may love your new scent so much that you can’t stop spraying but don’t forget that less is more! It’s much more elegant to use a smaller amount of perfume for a softer and more subtle approach. If you want to discover the most popular brands of perfume right now, take a look at the recommendations from beauty experts at WhoWhatWear.